THE MUSIC IMBIZO 2022 MOOT COURT COMPETITION
(The Music Imbizo 2022 MOOT Court Competition Case is here: DOWNLOAD HERE! )
The Music Imbizo 2022 MOOT Court Competition will be held during the week of The Music Imbizo 2022 from Tuesday 06 September to Sunday 11 September, 2022 in Durban at the Moses Mabhida Stadium. The Competition aims to introduce law students to the music industry and develop their awareness of copyright issues plus the awareness of copyright issues by players within the sector.
Students from universities that enjoy full LLB accreditation by the South African Council on higher Education (CHE) and industry practitioners that do not hold a LLB degree or law related qualification but are able to make their case are eligible to participate in the Competition.
ELIGIBLE CLASSES OF STUDENTS
Students who are in the process of completing an LLB, BCom or BA Law degree at a South African university are eligible to participate in the Competition.
The following people are prohibited from taking part in The Music Imbizo 2022 Moot Court Competition:
- Students who are currently employed or otherwise associated with either CALS or SLS;
- Qualified legal practitioners; and
- Students who already hold an LLB or equivalent degree.
- Industry players with no formal law background are also encouraged to participate.
- Each participating team must comprise no fewer than two (2) people and must not exceed more than three (3) people.
- Under no circumstances should teams seek the assistance of any other person who teaches or practices law beyond what has been given by The Music Imbizo 2022. Failure to comply with this rule will lead to the entire team being disqualified.
- The hypothetical case will be available HERE.
REQUESTS FOR CLARIFICATION
- Teams may request clarifications of the facts. These clarifications must be requested anytime up until end of business on Monday 11 July 2022.
- Prospective teams should express their interest to participate in the Competition by 15 July 2022. Teams must register by completing this registration form below.
HEADS OF ARGUMENT
- During the Preliminary round, each registered team must prepare and submit two sets of heads of argument, i.e. for both the Applicant and the Respondent.
- Heads of argument must be written in English, and typed in Arial 12 point font, 1.5 line spacing and justified.
- All footnotes must be written in Arial 10 point font.
- The heads of argument must comply with the Rules of the Constitutional Court.
- All heads of argument must be submitted electronically in PDF format without any passwords.
EXTRA RESOURCES FOR THE CASE (click to download):
- Artists Recording Agreement – Ambition Records – Indaba YaseDubai
- Co-Publishing Agreement – Indaba YaseDubai
- Exclusive Writer agreement – Indaba YaseDubai
- The Music Imbizo 2022 MOOT Court Competition – Case
The deadline for the submission (and team registration) of the heads of argument is 23h59 on 15 July 2022 as part of the registration. The heads of argument must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: NAME OF CONTACT PERSON.