The Music Imbizo 2023 Hackathon
- The Music Imbizo 2023 Hackathon’s will focus on open innovations in the value chain of the music industries. From songwriting, recording, managing data, publishing, royalty collection & calculation to solving issues in the live and performance space.
- Tuesday 29 August – Saturday 02 September 2023.
- Actual hackathon is 48 hours (Thursday 31 August – Friday 01 September)
- Registration closes 14 July 2023, 23:59:00
WHO CAN APPLY:
- Programmers, designers, managers, entrepreneurs and anyone interested in innovation within the music industry in general.
- Hackathon participants will be given 48 hours to develop a prototype of their projects. Wednesday 06 to Friday 08 October.
CHALLENGES (Introducing local innovation to the South African music industry)
- There is a need for the general monitoring of the use of music across many diverse platforms. Musicians want to know where and when their music was used.
- Thousands and thousands of music is released on a daily basis. How does the consumer get introduced to new and exciting music? How do artists position themselves in the market?
- As the musician or artist’s catalogue grows, keeping track of your catalogue becomes more and more tough. How does a musician, artists or record label keep track of its features and its own music?
- The Music Imbizo 2023 Hackathon will be hosted during The Music Imbizo 2023.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- These rules are subject to change. The final rules will be given out on the day of the event.
- All design elements, code, hardware builds, etc. for your project must be created during the event. Third party tools and frameworks are allowed as well as your normal tooling. While you may not begin coding in advance, you can plan and discuss with your team in advance. Written documents and design sketches are allowed. You may also incorporate pre-existing material that is freely available to the public into your project, such as public domain images, Creative Commons music, open-source libraries, existing APIs and platforms, and the like.
- Projects can be presented theoretically, including design frames, without a working prototype.
- Teams must be comprised of 1-3 people.
- Only four of the competing teams will present their projects in the final round of judging at the end of the conference. The presenting teams will be determined by an initial round of judging that will take place a day before the announcement of the winners on Saturday 02 September 2023.
- Teams that make it to the final round will be given up to 1 hour to present their finished project to a panel of judges.
- The prizes will be awarded solely based on the decision of the judging panel.
- At least one team member must be sign-in, be conscious and present to present the project to the judges during their assigned presentation time.
- Any intellectual property developed during the hackathon will belong to the team that developed it. We expect that each team will have an agreement between themselves regarding the IP, but this is not required.
CODE OF CONDUCT
By participating in any The Music Imbizo 2023 event, you agree to abide by the following code of conduct.
- Please treat all other hackers with the utmost respect. We ask that you act kindly, behave professionally, and do not insult or put down other attendees.
- Remember that harassment and racist, sexist, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate for this event. If at any point you see a fellow hacker being harassed, please talk The Music Imbizo team member onsite.
- Please treat our sponsors, organizers, and judges with the utmost respect. Without them, nothing would be possible.
Failure to comply with the above-stated Rules and Code of Conduct may result in the offending team’s disqualification.
PHOTO RELEASE WAIVER
- By attending or participating in any of The Music Imbizo 2022 events, you hereby grant The Music Imbizo 2023 Hackathon and its affiliates permission to use your likeness in a photograph, video, or other digital media (“photo”) in any and all of its publications, including web-based and social media publications, without payment or other consideration.
- You understand and agree that all photos will become the property of The Music Imbizo 2022 Hackathon or its affiliates and will not be returned.
- You irrevocably authorize The Music Imbizo and its affiliates to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, publish, or distribute these photos for any lawful purpose. In addition, you waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product wherein my likeness appears. Additionally, you waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising or related to the use of the photo.
You hereby hold harmless, release, and forever discharge The Music Imbizo 2023 Hackathon and its affiliates from all claims, demands, and causes of action which you, your heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on your behalf or on behalf of your estate have or may have by reason of this authorization.